If you need assistance in dealing with the estate of a close friend or relative, we can assist. We offer two levels of service for Probate: Grant only and Full Administration.
Jessica Flaherty – Head of Department
Jessica is the head of our team and has over 5 years’ experience in private client work, specialising in wills and probate. Jessica has been working in this area since she qualified and has helped many families and individuals.
Jessica qualified as a solicitor in 2015 after completing her training contract at Levins Solicitors. She became a head of department in October 2018.
Jessica has a Certificate in Administration of Estates and is currently completing a Diploma in Trust and Estates to become a Trust and Estates Practitioner.
Probate Grant Only
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 8-12 weeks depending on how quickly the executors are able to provide date of death valuations for assets and liabilities.
Probate Full Administration
Obtaining date of death valuations for all assets and liabilities, applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
These matters are dealt with on a time and cost basis with an hourly rate of £210.00 per hour. Most full administration matters cost between £3000.00-£5000.00 plus VAT and disbursements.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 4-6 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £1.50 (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 9-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 8-12 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6-8 weeks. Executors are advised to wait for a period of 6 months from the date of the Grant before distributing assets to protect themselves in the event that a claim is made against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family Dependants) Act. Once this has period has expired, we can prepare estate accounts and distribute the assets, which normally takes 4-6 weeks.
PRIVATE CLIENT FIXED FEE LIST 2019
|Probate – Grant only – estate up to £325,000||£650.00||£130.00||£155.00 (court fee)
£50.40 (case man fee)
|£985.40 plus disbursements|
|Probate – Grant only – estate over £325,000||£900.00||£180.00||£155.00 (court fee)
£50.40 (case man fee)
|£1285.40 plus disbursements|
|Expedited Probate – Grant only – estate up to £325,000||£1000.00||£200.00||£155.00 (court fee)
£50.40 (case man fee)
|£1405.40 plus disbursements|
|We will prepare papers and lodge application same day on following conditions:
· The original Will is readily available (where one exists), Will must be held by executors and brought to appointment or held by us.
· All executors who wish to apply must attend the office and bring ID
· Original Death Certificate must be brought to appointment
· Two and a half hours to be blocked out of fee earners diary (1 hour for appointment and 1 hour to prepare papers). Clients to be told that they will have appointment then asked to return 1 hour following end of appointment to collect documents.
|Probate – Full administration**||Charged on a time and cost basis and will depend on work involved. Clients will be advised of fees estimate at initial appointment when they have provided full details of the estate.
JLF hourly rate – £195.00 plus VAT
Disbursements payable for Probate – Grant only
- £7.50 copies of Grant
- £2.00 per person bankruptcy check (executors and deceased)
- £4.20 ID check per executor
ALL PRIVATE CLIENT MATTERS REQUIRE A PAYMENT ON ACCOUNT AT INITIAL APPOINTMENT FOR A MINIMUM OF £240.00. PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT FOR HOME VISITS.