Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Law

Will I have to pay for your services?

Levins offer their first hour for free for personal injury claims. If we take on your case but are unable to recover any compensation for you, you won’t owe us a penny. Unfortunately, due to recent changes in the law –which we opposed – if your claim is successful we are no longer able to make the defendant pay the whole of our fee. To compensate for this we have to take 10% of your compensation.

We have fixed this percentage as low as we can and our deal compares favourably with the 25% taken by most firms. The reason we have chosen 10% as the figure is because the courts have recently ruled that compensation will be increased by this amount. In other words, under our deal you will receive as much compensation as you would have done under the old law.

Will you pay me a cash advance?

No. We are aware that some firms will pay a few hundred pounds to take on your claim. What they don’t tell you about on the advertisements is that they will only give you the money if your claim meets a list of conditions. If fault is disputed or your injuries are minor, you won’t receive a cash advance.

We like to keep things simple. You get paid when we do. We believe that on average the cash advance another firm may offer will be outweighed by the extra compensation we can recover for you. If your injuries are serious and you have pressing financial needs, ask us about the possibility of interim payments.

How long will it take?

If your claim arises from a road traffic accident and the other driver is clearly at fault, we will generally be able to settle your claim within 3-4 months. If your claim is more complicated, it can take anywhere between 6 months and several years to bring the case to a successful conclusion. We will be able to provide you with more specific guidance at your first appointment.

My child was injured in an accident. Can you help?

Yes. We regularly represent children. We will require you or another adult to agree to act as your child’s “litigation friend”, which allows us to take our instructions from that person.

What can I claim compensation for?

There are two categories of compensation in personal injury claims: general damages and special damages. Broadly speaking, special damages compensate an injured person for those expenses which can easily be quantified, such as the cost of a taxi to the hospital, whereas general damages compensate for such things as the pain and suffering caused by the injury.

You may have suffered a loss of earnings as a result of your injuries. If your injuries are serious, your ability to work in the future may also be adversely affected. This may in turn serve to reduce your pension entitlement. Alternatively, even if you are able to continue in your current job, your injuries may put you at a disadvantage if you ever have to look for another job. In the right circumstances you can be compensated for all these losses.

Another common claim in more serious cases is for care and assistance. Even if care is provided for you free of charge by friends and relatives, you will generally be entitled to recover a notional payment on their behalf.

How long do I have to claim?

As a general rule, a claim for personal injury must be brought within 3 years of the date of the accident. However, there are various exceptions to this rule and if you think you may have a claim in respect of an injury or illness which you sustained more than 3 years ago, you should contact us to see if we can assist.