New Probate Application Fees
New probate application fees are about to be introduced which are to be linked to the size of the estate. The new fees are as follows:
- Estates up to £50,000 – no fee payable
- Estates from £50,000 to £300,000 will pay £250
- Estates from £300,000 to £500,000 will pay £750
- Estates from £500,000 to £1 million will pay £2,500
- Estates from £1 million to £1.6 million will pay £4000
- Estates from £1.6 million to £2 million will pay £5000
- Estates worth more than £2 million will pay £6000
Compare the above with the current flat fee of £155 when an application is made through a solicitor and thousands of estates could be out of pocket.
The new fees were due to come into place at the beginning of this month but have been delayed. There is no set date for the implementation but it could be very quick and we may only have 21 days’ notice of the date.
Understandably, applying for probate may be the last thing on bereaved families minds but if you’ve been putting off making an application, doing it now rather than waiting could avoid thousands extra in fees. If this affects you, it is time to take action.
Contact Levins Solicitors today to arrange an appointment with our Probate specialist, Jessica Flaherty.